I’m not a music blogger, but in the spirit of all the year-end lists that are popping up on proper music blogs, I thought I’d make my own. My criteria were simple. The disc had to come out sometime in 2007, and I had to actually care enough to buy it. I don’t buy that much music anymore, so my list of potential picks was mercifully small. Ranking was difficult, but I decided that if something was pleasantly surprising, it ranked higher than something that was just dependably good. So, here, without any real commentary, are my top 10 from 2007.
- Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
- Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
- Okkervil River – The Stage Names
- The Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova – Music from the film “Once”
- Apples In Stereo – New Magnetic Wonder
- Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
- LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver
- St. Vincent – Marry Me
- Interpol – Our Love to Admire
Outside the top ten:
- The New Pornographers – Challengers
- The Shins – Wincing the Night Away
- Radiohead – In Rainbows
- Stars – In Our Bedroom After the War
- Peter Bjorn and John – Writer’s Block
Other great albums that I just haven’t got around to buying yet:
- The National – Boxer
- Beirut – The Flying Club Cup
How about you? What were some of your favourites?