- The Flashing Lights-Where The Change Is – I know they opened for Sloan on their most recent tour, but thanks go to Jack for turning me on to The Flashing Lights!
- Galaxie 500-The Portable Galaxie 500 – A selection from their entire 3 CD output, released by Ryko.
- Withnail and I (DVD) – OK, I gave in. I just got it for a decent price. If Criterion comes out with a better version later, I’ll give this away. More people need to see this film anyway.
I’m starting to get excited about the Toronto International Film Festival. This will be my sixth year going, and I usually see between 10-15 films each year. This is the 25th anniversary year, too. I’ve seen so many good films and also movie stars and directors, too. Last year, Brooke got Ralph Fiennes’ autograph, which made her weak at the knees for about a month. I got John Turturro’s a few years ago, but I’m not much of an autograph hound. I find it embarrassing. I’ll try to report on what good stuff I see, as some of it at least will be released later to wide distribution.
More music purchased on the weekend:
- Everclear-So Much For The Afterglow (used)
- Sinead O’Connor-Faith and Courage
Also, another fun dinner party with Jen and David, with a funny conversation about job titles on the set of porn films (anyone wanna work as a “grip”??). This week, though, will be hellish at work. We have a big deadline, and I’m working practically alone without much of a roadmap. Should be a bumpy week. Got a funny email last Friday which I forwarded to far too many people. Actual subtitles seen in Japanese films:
- I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.
- Fatty, you with your thick face have hurt my instep.
- Gun wounds again?
- Same old rules: no eyes, no groin.
- A normal person wouldn’t steal pituitaries.
- Damn, I’ll burn you into a BBQ chicken!
- Take my advice, or I’ll spank you without pants.
- Who gave you the nerve to get killed here?
- Quiet or I’ll blow your throat up.
- You always use violence. I should’ve ordered glutinous rice chicken.
- I’ll fire aimlessly if you don’t come out!
- You daring lousy guy.
- Beat him out of recognizable shape!
- I have been scared shitless too much lately.
- I got knife scars more than the number of your leg’s hair!
- Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected.
- The bullets inside are very hot. Why do I feel so cold?
- How can you use my intestines as a gift?
- This will be of fine service for you, you bag of the scum. I am sure you will not mind that I remove your manhoods and leave them out on the dessert flour for your aunts to eat.
- Yah-hah, evil spider woman! I have captured you by the short rabbits and can now deliver you violently to your gynecologist for a thorough extermination.
- Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
Andy has news about the new Radiohead CD coming out. His entry today reminded me that of course OK Computer has to be on my “Desert Island Discs.” So, I’m adding yet another:
What are the discs you couldn’t live without?
This weekend, I finally sprung the 60 bucks for The Magnetic Fields’ 3-CD set, “69 Love Songs.” With tax, it came to $68.99, just shy of $69, as the store clerk so wittily pointed out. My verdict, based only on Vol.1, is good, very good. Stephin Merritt’s voice takes getting used to, and the arrangements are pretty spare, but the guy has a way with words, and some really beautiful music. It’s all about the love, baby!
Ok, you knew I was going to do this. I have to add a few more discs to the “Desert Island Discs” from a few days ago. I said I would, and here I am. At least I didn’t say a hundred discs, but ten is kind of limiting, don’t you think? Here are a few more I couldn’t live without:
- The Smiths-The Queen is Dead
- Jane’s Addiction-Nothing’s Shocking
- The B-52’s-The B-52’s
I also want to tell you about all the shiny new CDs I buy here. Actually, it’s more for me to keep track, but you get to hear about it, too. Not much new that I wanted right now, so I bought a few CDs that I’d previously only had on vinyl. I usually don’t like doing it, but it has to be done. Most of my vinyl is all gone, and I have a huge box of cassette tapes that will also have to go soon. Here’s what I bought last Saturday:
- The Cure-Staring at the Sea: The Singles (usually don’t like “Greatest Hits” type packages, but hey, it will tide me over until I can afford the rest of their CDs)
- The Cure-Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me (still mad that they left off the song “Hey You!” to turn a 2 record set into one CD)
- The Cure-Pornography (now watch the hits to my blog go way up!! I love search engines!!)
- Weezer-Weezer (this was 8 bucks, don’t you just love/hate that? happy it’s cheap, sad that it ended up in the “bargain bin.”)
Now, don’t just sit there, buy some T-shirts from Heather!! And if you feel sorry for me, since shipping to Canada costs $20 (and those are U.S. dollars!), send one to me, too!