Are standards-compliant websites better?

Are standards-compliant websites better? (theory, February 19, 2001)

This article is from merges.net, an internet design and usability consultancy run by a high school student here in Ontario. Thanks to Anil for the heads up on this. The article is thoughtful, but comes out against the recent Browser Upgrade Initiative, which I support. My main point of contention is the assertion that the majority of web users are not using standards compliant browsers. According to my own anecdotal evidence, close to 90% of users are already running standards-compliant browsers. And of the remaining 10%, most would have no barriers to upgrading.

Smart kid, though. I’d get my boss to hire him, but he already makes $75/hr for his work.